Customers want convenience and speed. With the unstoppable rise of eCommerce, consumer behavior is shifting quickly. The world is becoming more and more fast-paced, and buyers have been used to buying things with a few clicks and expecting their packages delivered to their doorstep in less than 24 hours (some even get them the same day). Many people are choosing white glove delivery services because these are premium services that are becoming increasingly popular as shoppers expect higher standards of customer service.
A standard freight service typically offers a curbside delivery, while a white glove delivery service includes premium carrier service for bulky items that need to be delivered, set up, or installed.
Whether consumers need help with moving or are worried about installation, assembly, or heavy lifting of bulky items, white glove delivery is the solution. Let’s talk more about what white glove service is, why consumers opt for it over other delivery options, and the benefits it brings.
What is White Glove Delivery?
White Glove delivery is a broad term used to describe a wide range of additional services that logistics companies offer. These services go over-and-above their regular pick-up and delivery options. The White-Glove attitude involves treating every package very delicately throughout the transit and delivering it to the customer with precision. The delivery driver handles the goods delicately to minimize the risk of damage and ensure the utmost care during transport.
White glove logistics service providers have experienced and trusted delivery professionals on their delivery teams. These professionals are experts in the end-to-end handling of various types of movable goods. Compared to regular freight and shipment services, white glove service has some exceptional characteristics that make it stand out.
What’s Included in White Glove Services?
- Pick-up from inside your home and delivery to a room of your choice. With this service, the client doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting or move heavy, bulky items themselves. The delivery team will do all the work, including carrying the items up and down staircases.
- Product assembly and disassembly. When moving furniture, some items are too bulky and have to be disassembled to be carried out. Some companies also offer item assembly and dismantlement of furniture, and installation (e.g., delivery and installation of medical equipment or syncing IoT smart devices so you can use your items immediately). In case you have an old product that you’re replacing, the delivery professionals will dismantle and remove it in a safe and timely manner.
- Protective packaging. When it comes to package protection, white glove delivery companies always adhere to high standards. They protect packages with premium packaging materials such as cardboard, wooden crates, glass masks, bubble wrap, movers wrap, Styrofoam, packing peanuts, etc. They also take additional steps to protect shipments from moisture and moving during transport and unpack everything once the shipment reaches its destination. Afterward, they dispose of the materials and leave without making a mess.
- Safe and clean transportation. White glove service dispatch safe and clean shipping vehicles operated by trained and experienced professionals. Typically, the company is available to answer all the questions you might have throughout the shipment, as well as feedback afterward.
- Inspections and handling. Some delivery companies include pre-site and post-site assessments before assembling the delivered product to ensure any unique configuration is required during set-up. With white glove delivery services, you can rest assured that your packages are treated with the best care throughout the entire process of packaging, shipping, delivery, and assembly/set-up. Drivers and packagers are trained to take all special considerations into account and handle your items’ unique needs.
Who Offers White Glove Delivery?
Because the fast-growing eCommerce market has put more pressure on retailers to improve their customer service, more and more consumers choose to buy from stores with white glove delivery. Companies that typically offer such services are:
- Moving companies. Moving companies can often go over-and-above their standard service by offering white glove treatment for an additional fee. With their standard service, they might help you lift anything heavy from the truck to inside your home but leave it inside for you to move it exactly where you want. With a white glove delivery service, all you have to do is direct the carriers, and they will do everything for you.
- Online retailers. These companies can offer white glove delivery to assemble or install your purchase (which also comes at an additional fee). These retailers often attract their customers by offering free delivery, but it often comes down to a simple inside delivery and depends on your location. Anyone who has bought big-ticket products during promotions like Black Friday or Cyber Monday might have noticed this.
- White-goods, big-ticket, and furniture companies (online and retail) often provide the option of adding white glove delivery services (for an additional fee) after booking. Since the flat-pack furniture is bulky, transporting and assembling it can be a headache-causing hassle. White glove delivery saves the customer from that.
The main advantage of the white glove delivery service is extra care during the transportation of goods. On the other hand, such services are more expensive than standard delivery services and are often offered at an additional fee. For example, moving companies that provide white glove delivery options for relocations and removals typically charge by the hour. Their price also depends on the distance and other options the client has selected.
White-Glove vs. Inside Pick-Up and Delivery
The difference between these two delivery services lies in the additional services offered (particularly when the shipment arrives). When it comes to inside pick-up and delivery, there’s a common assumption that the shipment will be collected from inside the residence and delivered inside the destination residence (but that’s not always the case). Most carriers will go as far as to the front door or garage (residential deliveries) or the storefront (business deliveries). However, online furniture retailers often offer free inside furniture delivery along with the purchase. If you are not sure what’s included with your delivery, be sure to check the delivery terms and conditions.
The Benefits of White Glove Delivery
When people work with a white glove delivery service team, the benefits they get include:
- Top-notch customer service. We all know how customer service is vital to today’s consumers. Thanks to a superb customer experience, companies can go far in building trustful relationships with their customers. With white glove delivery, customers always come first. With a single point of contact and scheduled, assured deliveries, there is no need for guesswork. There is a minimum possibility of breaking a package while in transit because it is packaged and secured correctly. Furthermore, when the package arrives at the customer’s doorstep, they don’t have to worry about installing or assembling it because trained professionals will do it for them. All in all, the customer will be happy because of such customer services and is likely to buy from you again.
- Reduced number of product returns. What happens if a customer doesn’t know how to dismantle an old item and install the new one? If they try to do it themselves, they will break the new item before they even get the chance to use it. And they’ll want to return it, even if it wasn’t your fault. That won’t happen with white glove delivery because trained people will perform the item replacement properly. That way, you won’t lose money from returned products that also take up your warehouse space.
- Real-time order tracking. The transparency white-glove logistics offers to customers to track their delivery at every stage in transport is another key feature. White glove logistics providers use advanced technology, such as business intelligence applications and tools, to track orders from the point of origin to the end of destination. The ability to track orders in real-time helps build a sense of trust among customers and helps avoid any mishaps, delays, or damage during transportation.
- Environmental consciousness. With traditional shipment methods, delivering a single product might require multiple delivery attempts. On the other hand, white-glove deliveries are scheduled and always completed on time, which is better for the environment.
- Reliable service and peace of mind. With white glove delivery services, customers don’t have to worry about lost, delayed, or lost shipments. They will know when their shipment is expected and where it’s located throughout each stage of the delivery process, thanks to real-time updates and tracking information. This is especially beneficial for valuable and expensive products because white glove logistics companies offer peace of mind that they’ll be safe from theft or damage.
- Logistics and supply chain solutions. The white glove shipping company will take care of all the logistics of white glove delivery, while some companies also offer supply chain solutions. These may include inventory management, automated shipping schedules, cross-border services (e.g., customs brokerage), return management, and many more.
Working with 3PLs (third-party logistics providers) that offer white glove delivery services can provide you with a range of benefits. It’s important to know what your requirements are and choose a partner whose competencies complement yours. If you’re a consumer or business in need of white glove delivery services, feel free to reach out to Logistics Titans and ask us about our processes. We can offer premium services on white glove and final mile delivery utilizing our logistics experience and expansive network. Contact us today for more information.